Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Lock and Key

As many of you may have figured out by this point in my blog, I am extremely active in volunteering. One of the ways in which I have been able to expand the volunteering experiences I can participate in has been Key Club. Key Club is a junior division of Kiwanis, and I have participated in it for the last three years.

Now, what we do in Key Club is radically different from what I have done in Invisible Children over the years. Rather than focusing on one conflict or area where service is needed, we instead spread out helping hand across the community. My favorite service activity though Key Club is definitely our annual exchange student Thanksgiving dinner. There is so much opportunity to learn about other cultures and people, in addition to opportunity to make friends.

Of all the learning outcomes, the activities I have participated in through Key Club have tested my ability to work collaboratively with others. Especially regarding the Thanksgiving dinner, I have had the opportunity to work with many different types of people. Through working with so many people, I have both learned about myself and others. Most importantly, I have learned that I am very willing to do extra work so other people are not inconvenienced when there is a lot of work to be had.

I see this characteristic of myself as both good and bad. For one, my disposition to help others at any cost will do me well in the medical field, because being in the medical field is all about service to others. However, on the flip-side, it could also make me susceptible to being used in situations where others want to get out of work. In all, I feel that working with others has helped me to learn to collaborate with a greater variety of people. Additionally, I have learned a lot about myself and how I interact with others in a volunteer situation.

That's all for now, I think. Everyone have a wonderful day!! Remember to be awesome!!

Jordy

No comments:

Post a Comment