Wednesday, March 20, 2013

We Are the Ambassadors of the World

Hello, again!

So, today, I was able to use my Peer Ambassador skills to show a transfer student around the school, and I realized what a perfect opportunity it presented for discussing the impact Peer Ambassadors has had on my life.

Peer Ambassadors is essentially a club of juniors and seniors who help to acclimate new students (whether they are transfers or freshmen) into the Loveland High School community. We also give presentations throughout the year about teen dating violence prevention to the health classes at LHS. I definitely try to really reflect on my actions as a Peer Ambassador, especially since what I say or do when I'm giving a tour or a presentation can come across in many different ways. Personally, I think this fits well into learning objective seven: considering ethical implications of my actions.

While I haven't encountered any glaring moral issues participating in Peer Ambassadors, I do feel strongly that the actions we (as a club) exhibit demonstrate the values of both the club as a whole and the individuals within. As such, I try especially hard to put forth an attitude of helpfulness and positivity when I am participating in an event for Peer Ambassadors. The more positive I am in an activity, the more positive the new students are going to be in the activity, and in the school. Therefore, my actions help to foster a positive environment throughout the school. For me, part of the ethical implications of being in any club or organization include whether or not the attitudes and actions of the participants contribute to a better environment for both the organization and the people affected by the organization. In that respect, I feel that I have succeeded both in considering the ethical implications of my actions as a Peer Ambassador, but I have also helped to make both the club and my school a more positive place.

Now, I know you probably want an example. How am I positive, how do I stay helpful? In reality, I try to simply exhibit these characteristics in my daily life, and they especialy come out in Peer Ambassador events because Peer Ambassadors is about helping others and being positive while doing so. As such, I don't have a specific example to provide. Whether I'm showing a student around the school, or helping someone find a class, I just try to be the kind of person that I would want to show me around if I were new and had no clue how to get where I needed to go. Call it the Golden Rule, if you will.

On that note, I'd like to say good day, because I have some insane studying to do for tomorrow :)

Have a lovely day!
Jordy

No comments:

Post a Comment